Tuesday, August 7, 2007

NTTMCL hiring again

I guess it comes as no surprise since it seems like everyone is hiring these days, but NTTMCL is hiring again. Of particular interest (to me at least, since it is replacing my position) is the Unix Kernel Developer. I know, you wouldn't know it from my blog posts, but originally I was hired as a FreeBSD kernel developer. Since I am being transferred to Tokyo in a couple of months, and they don't really have the infrastructure in the office over there for kernel development, NTTMCL is hiring a kernel developer to replace me here in the Bay Area.

I don't know who wrote the job description, but there appear to be some typographical errors in it. For example, "enhanced 3 switch" should probably read "enhanced layer 3 switch" and "stabilize the developed wireless network system" should probably be "stabilize the existing wireless network system". Did I mention that NTTMCL is a subsidiary of a Japanese company? We have lots of non-native speakers.

Anyway, besides the kernel developer position, we also have a position open in our security research group, and two positions in our IP technologies group (formerly the IPv6 group) [1, 2]. If you are really into researching and playing with the latest hardware, we have a position in our Business Development group that will get to check out all of the latest gear that NTT Communications might be interested in.

We're a relatively small research and development subsidiary of NTT; currently we have about 35 people, the majority of which are software engineers of some sort. We have offices in both San Mateo, CA and San Jose, CA. The work environment is kind of a mix of big-company and startup: we're small and work with many cutting-edge technologies, but our income is stable being that we are a wholly-owned subsidiary of one of the largest ISPs in the world. There are no stock options, but there are also no 18-hour work days.

Anyway, I really like it here. In my 5 and half years here, I've worked on everything from FreeBSD kernel programming low-level networking, and implementing high-performance Un*x daemons (all in C, of course), to perl and embedded perl interpreters, to web application development (both with and without AJAX), to developing GUI-based applications on Windows using python. If you really like learning and applying new technologies, this is a great place to do so without having to worry about where your next paycheck is coming from.

If that sounds good to you too, send a copy of your resume to jobs@nttmcl.com.
Update 2007/08/16 07:07pm:
I got most of the errors in the job description for the kernel programmer corrected with H.R.; I haven't checked the others, though. Speaking of which, we're up to seven open positions now. Bring some friends! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the mail I was trying to send:

Subject: Re: [Python]: Typed attributes using descriptors
Hello there; since your post no longer accepts comments, I'd like to
offer the following (if it's obvious to you, no offense intended):

Have TypedAttr.__set__() check a list of predicates, the first one
being isinstance. Have Unsigned() and NotNone() check if they've got a
TypedAttr instance; if so, append your checks to the predicate list
and return the TypedAttr. And you'll probably want to use adapt()
instead of your own converter.

These are quick, un-coded thoughts. Please feel free to flame me if
you've tried something like this before and it bombed.

Cheers,
--lbruno